Author: M.Prince (8 Aug 06 6:02pm)
You shouldn't need an "A" record, just an MX. We've heard from a few people who have had similar problems. Here's what we think is going on.....
We just moved from one datacenter to a new (fancy) datacenter. In our old datacenter we ran our own DNS server against which all queries were run. In our new datacenter, we've got a big (fancy) DNS server that we bang against.
The old DNS server was setup not to cache anything; the new DNS server does caching. See where this is going.....
I think what happened is that when you tried the first time and the "MX" record didn't exist the DNS cached that value. Then, when you tried again, it didn't look it up based on the authoritative version but instead looked at the cache.
So I think the solution, which we're working on, is to go back to running our own DNS that always pulls off the authoritative version. Hopefully we'll have that running by the end of the day. And, regardless, the cache will expire on the DNS in a few hours and then your donation should go through. (Although if the TTL on the DNS is longer than the period between our checks, it could keep getting recached. Ugh.)
Anyway, I apologize for the problem. Thanks for letting us know!!! Should be back to working as normal soon.